Search This Blog

$10 DIY Maxi Dress from Men's Tshirts

Okay!  This was the sewing project I was working on.  The idea popped into my head the other day and I really wanted to see if I could get it to work.  I knew I could.  I had a general idea of how I was going to put it together.  I knew that I wanted it gathered under my bust.  I have a small bust (I'm basically built like an 11 year old boy).  I used Men's XLarge V-Necks for these.  I thought I would use the V-neck neck line and add a ruffle.  That wasn't working for me.  I'm just not experienced enough sewing knits.  I have much more practice sewing wovens.  So, I ended up ripping the whole V-neck out with my seam ripper.  I liked the way the rough edge looked, so I left it unfinished at the neckline and eventually everywhere.  And that decision actually influenced the way I put the tiers on also.  I kept trying it on to see where I needed to "pinch" and "tuck" and do whatever else I needed to do to get it fit in the bustline.  I had to add the extra tier to make it longer, but now I actually need to shorten it a little.  This is not actually a tutorial, but more of a brainstorming post.  If enough people want me to do an actual tutorial, I will gladly sew another dress and do a tutorial!  Just leave me a message in the comments section.  I am really sorry about the quality of these pictures, but I'm not a model and my 4 year old is not a photographer.  We did the best we could! 
These were my supplies: 4 Extra Large Men's V-neck Tshirts, 1" elastic, pink thread, pink Rit dye.  The T-shirts were $7 for a 4-pack.  The dye was $1.88.  I had everything else at home already.


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Email or RSS Feed