- If you, like us, like to enjoy a few alcoholic beverages while you're on vacation, here are some tips. Liquor is only sold from 9:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. To find a liquor store, look for a sign with three red circles or dots. All liquor stores have this marking. If you would like to buy beer or wine, you may do so 24/7 and may purchase it in a drug store or grocery store. You don't have to find a liquor store for beer or wine.
- Surfside Beach has service roads on either side of the highway. These can be dangerous! Be very careful.
- If you're thinking about going Putt-putt golfing, but you can't find the exact one you're looking for, don't worry! There is a putt-putt golf place almost exactly every half mile. On our way up to Myrtle Beach we counted 10 different Miniature golf places on our 5 mile trip.
- If you would like to do a Helicopter tour, Huffman Helicopters claims to have the only $20 helicopter tour that goes over the beach. It is a rather short ride. But, the helicopters here go up and down so quickly and so often that the wait isn't that long. You can show up without a reservation and get into a helicopter pretty quickly.
- There are many, many places to eat Calabash Seafood in an all you can eat buffet format. We saw many Calabash signs and had no idea what it meant. Apparently, Calabash is a small fishing town in Southeastern North Carolina. From what I can glean from the internet, Calabash-style seafood is cooked in a lighter batter of flour and cornmeal and quick-fried. Most Calabash-style buffet restaurants boast at least 120 different items on their buffet menu.
- If you're interested in tourist-y fun, make sure you go to Broadway at the Beach. . . . which is not actually at the beach. But, it is loaded with tourist-y fun. There are ample shopping, dining and tourist attractions in one place, including Ripley's Aquarium, Wonderworks and the NASCAR speedpark.
- In Surfside Beach, if you plan to park in the pay lots, be prepared. Some of the machines only accept coins or credit cards. And the machines in the lots that DO accept bills, only accept exact amounts and don't give change. The rate is $1.00/hour. You can find out more parking info at Surfside Beach's website.
Monday, July 16, 2012
Fun things to know if you vacation in Surfside Beach, SC
We really enjoyed our time in Surfside Beach, South Carolina. It is just south of Myrtle Beach. Surfside Beach is known as the "Family Beach" and is part of the "Grand Strand" area in South Carolina.
Have you ever been to the Myrtle Beach area? What is your favorite tourist attraction?