Here are my steps to try to get closer to our goal of being financially safe in case of unforeseen circumstances.
- Check our current insurance policies to see what kind of disabilties they cover and for how long.
- Get our debt under control and try to pay down our mortgage quicker.
- Start a budget that is actually feasible and stick with it. We're really good at creating budgets, but not so good at actually sticking to them. A budget isn't worth much if we're not actually using it!
- Lead a healthy lifestyle. Healthy bodies heal quicker!
- Create a better savings goal. I know it seems like it wouldn't make sense to put money in savings when interest rates are so low on savings accounts. It would seem to make more sense to pay down debt. But, a book that someone gave me once said, "Pay yourself first".