"Awesome! 'Cause it was AWESOME."
I think he was a fan, but for real. . . . . what's not to like? This quinoa dish has so many levels of flavor. The quinoa is cooked in chicken broth with lots of herbs and a little tomato paste.
The mushrooms and chickpeas are cooked in bacon drippings. So, yeah. . . . . . it has a little "bad for you" stuff in it, but it's also loaded with "good for you" stuff.
Quinoa is a super-grain from ancient times.
One quarter cup (precooked) serving of quinoa has 3 grams of fiber and 20% of your iron for the day. It's also gluten-free and contains these vitamins & minerals: vitamin E, most B vitamins, magnesium, phosphorus & manganese, among others.
The Crimini mushrooms have riboflavin, niacin, phosphorus, potassium, copper, and selenium. (You can click on any of the links to find out how these nutrients help your body.)
The chickpeas add fiber, protein and these vitamins & minerals: folate, vitamin B6, vitamin C, phosphorus & manganese.
It's a fairly easy recipe to make. You can either use pre-cooked chicken or cook your chicken before you begin the main part of the recipe. I boiled chicken thighs because I wanted a way to cook them that didn't require anything from me. . . . . just stick them in some water and boil them and forget about them for however long it takes (while I clean the kitchen). But you can cook yours however you like~~grill, broil, boil. I boiled them before I started cooking everything else. I only used 3 boneless chicken thighs for this recipe.
3 boneless chicken thighs, cooked how you like and chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup quinoa
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
2 Tbsp. dried parsley
black pepper to taste
4 strips of center cut bacon
8 oz. of crimini mushrooms, sliced
(1) 15.5 oz. can of chickpeas, drained
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- Heat chicken broth, tomato paste, quinoa and herbs and spices in a medium saucepan over medium high heat until boiling.
- Once quinoa starts boiling, cover pot with tight fitting lid and turn burner to low.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes with lid on.
- Once you begin quinoa, cook bacon in skillet with lid over medium heat. Flip bacon after 10 minutes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove bacon to plate with paper towel to drain grease.
- Put mushrooms, chickpeas and chicken in skillet used to cook bacon. Cook mushrooms, chickpeas and chicken in bacon drippings over medium heat.
- After the quinoa is done cooking and has sat for 5 minutes, add the quinoa to the mushroom, chickpea, chicken mixture.
- Chop the 4 pieces of cooked bacon and add to the quinoa, mushroom, chickpea and chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top and mix in well.
- Serve while warm.
What is your favorite quinoa dish?