In the past several years, we've split up our refund a couple different ways. We put a little toward any debt that we may have. We put a little toward our emergency savings account and we put a little toward my Roth IRA. It seems like it's been a long time since we've done anything fun with it. With my hubby switching jobs last year, it's just been better to be practical with it.
Here are ten of the ways I would rather spend our refund if we weren't being practical!
- A new mattress. According to everything I've seen, you're supposed to get a new mattress every 8 years. We've had ours for at least 16 years now. Yikes! It's not just the dust mites that are freaky, but we're also a little sore every day when we wake up. It's probably time for a new one.
- A weekend spa visit. Going for three hours and having a couple treatments is nice, but wouldn't it be nice to have the whole spa weekend experience? It's on my 50 before Fifty list. I have four and a half years to make it happen!
- The whole out-of-state Disney experience. Growing up in Florida, we just do Disney different. Because we can. It doesn't make sense to pay for a week at a hotel and go to all the theme parks when we can just drive 45 minutes and go when we want. Now that I live in Ohio, I'd like to do it the way all out-of-staters do it!
- Furnish our sunroom. Our sunroom is so utilitarian right now. It's a nice, sunny room. . . . full of kids toys, fitness equipment people don't use, and things that don't fit anywhere else. It would be nice to have one of those pretty, functional sunrooms that can actually be a peaceful space for entertaining.
- Granite countertops. We were supposed to be on a five-year plan to get granite countertops since we couldn't afford them when we did our addition. My hubby made our counters with formica (maybe? Is that the stuff that non-designer countertops are made of?) We said we'd be on a five year plan to get granite. We still have two years until our five year plan is up, but it would be nice to have them.
- Buy ten years worth of extra-soft toilet paper and fill an above ground pool. Let everyone dive in. Just kidding! Trying to see if you're paying attention.
- Save the money for braces for my son. He's lost all of his baby teeth and now is the time. I am not looking forward to that expense! This one is mostly practical, but it's something that might create a strain for us on a monthly basis.
- New living room furniture. Our living room furniture is seven years old. That truthfully doesn't sound that old, but after seven years of kids jumping on it, it needs to be replaced.
- Weekend trip to NYC with my hubby. This is also on my 50 Before Fifty list~~you can find the list in the tabs section above! Neither of us have ever been to NYC and we'd like to do it together first before we take the kids.
- Get a better TV. This one is for my hubby. He didn't realize when he bought our TV that we can't see any of the dark scenes when they happen in movies and TV shows. That's not fun when we're watching The Walking Dead as they have a lot of night scenes. We sit there and say, "Can you tell what's happening? I can't tell what's happening!!!" And please, no spoiler alerts!! We don't have cable, so we haven't even begun season 6 yet! We have to wait for it on Netflix.
Here are some more ideas from the US Tax Center.