I might already have a recipe on the blog called Taco Noodle Casserole, but every time I make things, it's a new version! This version has whole wheat egg noodles, plain yogurt and tomato sauce. Yum! I would have loved to put more veggies in it, but I wanted my kids to eat it. At least it's whole wheat and has corn and tomato sauce. I'll take what I can get!
Everyone went back for seconds on this one. It was a hit in our kitchen! It makes quite a bit, because even with three of my family members getting seconds, there are still two containers of it in the kitchen fridge. Bonus for me! Now, I don't even have to think about what I'm going to eat for lunch. I'll just warm up some of this yummy goodness. Comfort food lunch. And I need it. Boy has it been busy, lately! This month isn't getting any less busy either.
Here's what we used:
(1) 12 oz. bag whole wheat egg noodles (kitchen pantry staple in our home)
1 pound of ground turkey
1 packet of taco seasoning mix
about a half pound of frozen corn
1/2 cup plain yogurt
8 oz. can of tomato sauce
1 can of water (tomato sauce can)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 oz. of cheddar, shredded
sliced green onions
Here's what we did:
- Boil noodles according to package directions (best if made with the al dente directions)
- Brown ground turkey until completely browned and add taco seasoning according to package directions
- Drain noodles and add to 9x13 casserole dish, along with taco meat and frozen corn.
- In a medium bowl or measuring cup, whisk together yogurt, tomato sauce, water, onion powder, garlic powder and salt.
- Pour tomato/yogurt sauce over noodles, taco meat and corn and stir well to combine.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- If desired, sprinkle green onions over casserole. We put it on half of ours.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
What is your favorite casserole to make?