Titus, Dirty Socks, Broken Water Heaters and Mice

No, it's not the beginning of a bad joke! 
There have been so many things happening lately, that I haven't had time to update you guys on a regular basis! Life seems to be happening at warp speed (yeah, I'm a little geeky every now and then--or a lot--whatever!) And truthfully, there have been things that I was going to update you about that I have already forgotten about! 
Most of these things that I'm going to update you about started about four weeks ago. . . . .
When Jaycee gets home from school, I have to physically walk across the street to get her off the bus.  It's a kindergarten thing.  You know, they are learning the rules, etc. and it's a safety issue.  Usually, she gets off the bus at a set time.
  I usually try to get out there about ten minutes early, just in case.  If you are not there to physically get them off the bus, they will NOT let them off the bus.  Jaycee would have to ride around the rest of the way and get taken back to school.  And then I would have to go to the school to pick her up.  I don't think that would be very much fun for anyone involved. 
The last day before Thanksgiving break, there were apparently a lot of kids who rode home with their mothers or were already gone for the holiday.  So, the bus was ten minutes early.  I was just checking one last thing on my computer before I was going to go out and wait for her.   I saw a bus out front and figured there was no way that was her bus, because it's at least ten minutes early.  Then I realized it was her bus.  I grabbed my boots, planning to put them on as I was running.  Don't ask me how I thought I was going to do that!  I have no idea.  I guess I  thought I was just that coordinated.  I ended up throwing the boots in the yard and hauling you-know-what across our front yard to try to catch up with the bus.  I never knew I could run so fast!  My poor socks caught the raw end of the deal.  And there I was crossing the road in front of all the cars that were confused about whether or not they were supposed to stop, in my socks.  The perfect beginning to the holiday weekend. 
At that point in the week, I was so ready for a date night with my hubby.  You might remember this post when I was talking about desperately needing a night out with my hubby (probably written after the mad dash in my socks).  Luckily, I had a surprise date with my hubby that Friday night after Thanksgiving.  My hubby's brother was in town and he offered to watch the kids for us.  He would have even stayed overnight if we wanted to stay out all night.  Woo Hoo! 
I had no idea what we were going to do.  I was hoping we were going to get a hotel.  I just wanted a little escape, know what I mean?  I had no clue what my hubby had in store.  He decided to check out Hilarities to see who was performing.  Christopher Titus was there that night.  We were able to walk in and get tickets.  I remember him from his show on Fox.  I used to watch it all the time before it got cancelled. He was very funny.  And we were able to get a picture with him after the show.  You'd have to see his current show to understand why he's making this face.  *wink, wink*
The week after Thanksgiving, I walked into the kitchen one morning to get things ready for the kids to go to school.  I saw something out of the corner of my eye.  It skittered across the floor and I realized I had just seen a mouse!  Eeek!  I don't mind seeing a mouse at breakfast. . . . if I'm at Disney World!!  So, my hubby put mouse traps out again. 
When we first moved in we had a mouse problem, because the house had been unoccupied by humans for over two years.  At that point, I had been trying to research ways to keep mice away.  I read that mice don't like the scent of peppermint because they are allergic to it. . . . . . or something like that.  So this time, I doused a couple cotton balls with peppermint extract and threw them by the hole where I saw the mouse exit and threw two cotton balls in my pantry.  Now, every time I open my pantry, it smells like candy canes. 
 My hubby set out traps the night we realized we had mice.  We caught one in the middle of the night, the first night we had it out. Then, I heard the trap around lunch time the next day when I was working on the computer.  We didn't catch any more in the kitchen after that. 
But, my hubby and I were sitting in the living room one night and we were both on our computers searching for Christmas presents for the kids.  He glanced over and said, "How long has that mouse been there?".  Apparently, we caught another one and neither one of us noticed the trap going off!  So, our total mouse count is at three right now.  I know there are more of them out there--or in here!  But, they are staying away from the traps for now.  It just creeps me out that they are in our heating vents.  Yuck!
I know this post has been long.  So, my last update is about our hot water heater.  We ended up just going with a standard hot water heater.  But, it's a high-efficiency one, so it should at least be more environmentally friendly than the one we have now.  It was pretty expensive, I guess.  My hubby said it was!  And it was very heavy for him to bring into the house.   Plus, we had to wait for the plumber to come hook it up since it runs on gas.  The plumber came on Saturday to hook it up.  He was here for a couple hours working on it.  They went to start it up and the motor froze.  The plumber said he's never seen it happen before.  My hubby called the manufacturer today and they are supposedly going to be sending someone out to fix it.  My hubby said, "And it won't cost me anything, right?" The girl told him "No" because it's under warranty for one year.  He said something about taking it back and she said that they don't take hot water heaters back once they're installed.  And he probably said something like, "Are you kidding me?  It broke within the first five minutes." 
Anyway, hopefully the hot water heater repair guy will be able to fix it.  And then we can start taking showers in our new Master Bath or using the Jacuzzi tub for the first time. 
Oh!  My hubby got a TV for the Jacuzzi tub already.  But, he wasn't going to spend $70 for the wall mount to hang a TV that was less than $200.  So. . . . . . he'll be finding a wall mount online somewhere.  And then he'll have to figure out where in the world he ran the cable from, because there is a cable line there, but he ran it so long ago, that he doesn't remember if it's actually hooked up to the cable.  I have no idea what that means, but I trust my hubby.  So hopefully soon, I'll be sitting in my Jacuzzi, watching some entertaining show.   Maybe I'll watch HGTV to get more ideas to finish my bathroom!
Anything interesting happening with you lately?  Mice sightings? 
One last picture update~~here is our first and only snowball of the season so far!

Make sure you never miss a Mish-Mash post.  Follow by RSS or Email HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have any tips or thoughts to add?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...